Friday, November 27, 2009

Windows 7 at office

I recently got a new machine at office. I have Windows 7 loaded on it now. It is an Acer Emachine 1210 with 19" monitor.

That model originally had Vista but now they provide it loaded with windows 7 also. I was waiting for this to happen since I did not want to work on Vista. I mean, Vista is ok, I have used it at home for more than a year but at office I do not want to use my time on solving Software issues and learning the difficult method to do something which was easy in Windows XP. Furthermore the Vista installation did not have any drivers installed. The display was weird with the wide-screen monitor trying to display standard 4:3 resolution screen. I had to install the drivers for graphics, monitor, and even the mouse driver to be able to use it for a week.

The story goes like this. The support guys tried to upgrade the OS for that machine to Win7 from Vista(Upgrade is a misnomer here since there were going to replace it with blank copy of a new installation requiring all software to be reinstalled) but for some reason the machine refused to listen to him and kept rebooting in Vista.Then complete machine was replaced and he brought another machine which had Win7 already on it. That was disappointing since I wanted to see how they upgrade to Win7.

So my emachine now has Win7. It was disappointing to see that Aero was not working and hence I was not able to change the color of the task-bar. It looks so irritating that I had to change the theme to Windows classic to be able to tolerate it. It seem there is some problem with the rating system and it crashes, so the machine is not able to rate itself and turn ON the more advanced feature like Aero.

Apart from that it is better than Vista in speed and smoothness. I was not able to install Cisco VPN client on it. I have to figure out how to do it since it is very important for my work. Right now I also have another machine so it is not much of a problem.

All in all it is OK. Provides good functionality. Uses less memory and the hibernate function actually works this time around for me to resume all my open windows the next day directly. And this means that I can switch off the machine and save some power to do something good for the mother earth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

7 is better than vista. I hope my organization switches to 7.. actually we are still using XP.. which is not bad but now its really boring ! specially after using 7 at home.. ;)

Kunal said...

It depends actually. If there are legacy applications that are very important then it is better to verify if they work on win7. I tried installing Cisco VPN software and after reboot I couldn't login to Company network. I had to uninstall the new app to be able to login.
So, until the OS new settles down and the rest of the application world catches up, There are bound to be hiccups along the way. And you should be able to handle them and still get the work done.

Web Search by Google

Google
 

IP tracking Tool

Page Rank viewer

Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:
This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service